Potted tomatoes to enhance your patio
Potted tomatoes can be grown easily in a controlled environment and can enhance the look of your patio. While growing the potted tomatoes, you should:
- Grow the tomatoes in the large container that has a diameter of 18 inches or greater.
- Have a hose for water nearby as tomato plants need regular watering.
- A good quality soil that contains all the essential minerals to grow the tomato plant. Use a commercial potting soil and a pot that has drainage.
- A good quality fertilizer that is especially formulated for tomatoes.
- A cage that will be used on the sides of the tomato plant to help support the plant as it grows and produces fruit.
Among all these things, the environmental conditions, the temperature, and the surroundings of the patio are very important. In the United States, potted tomatoes are grown very successfully and some varieties of tomato plants can provide at least 80 tomatoes after every 8th week. The combination of the green leaves and the red tomatoes increases the beauty of the patio.
While growing the potted tomatoes, it is recommended you to control the heat in the environment by providing some shade. If the plants get too much sun, they will wither and die. There are many varieties of tomato plants, such as cherry, beef steak, roma, and yellow, to name a few. If looked after properly, they will give you healthy, fresh, edible fruit.